Thursday, June 11, 2009

Week 2 Summer League Results and Poultry Days

So, this week has been pretty busy for me. For the last few weeks I have been going to both Club Open practices and Co-ed practices, as well as lifting/running/tossing on my own, bro-ing out mostly with Kevin, and of course Summer League. To be honest, its a little much for me right now - especially driving the distances I have to get to practices and such. I've all but decided this is going my be my routine for the next few weeks, and I'm going to try and stick to it. I don't want to be burned out this summer by Ultimate, and it is important to get some R&R during the "off season". Too bad in Ultimate there is no true off season. Anyway

Sunday - Co-ed Practice
Monday - Opting to skip Open practice and lift on my own
Tuesday - Lift on my own, option to rest muscles
Wednesday - Summer League
Thursday - Co-ed Conditioning Practice
Friday - Lift
Saturday - Toss and jog

Speaking of summer league...we played a team (Moss) that lost last week by the same margin we did. So it was a clash of the not-titans. The game held pretty true to form. Actually we were up on them by 3 early, but let them climb back into it by half. I believe we were up 2 at half recieving. They eventually caught back up, and even went up 3 points on us at one point. Luckily this week we picked up Ashley (but sorely missed Ed). At one point late in the game, I'd say with about 15 minutes left, Ashley, Rose and myself decided to take over the game, and we didnt come out till the end. Our offense basically fell into recieve the pull, have Ashley or Rose cut, throw to each other, I get the dump, and when we get close, have me throw to an iso-ed Ashley or Rose. We were pretty good about getting D's too. Sucks that in summer league we had to do that, since I'm all for everying getting their PT, but this was a game we needed to win.

So theres like 5 minutes left, and we had just tied it. The three of us were on a roll. If the point lasted long, this was essentially universe point (Summer League is to time - 40 min halves). We pull to start, and after some sketchy foul calls back and forth, I believe I hucked to an outstretched Ashley who almost caught my throw. Sadly, turnover. They get the disc back, and this team Moss basically ran the same offense all game, throwing to the open side. At one point after my cutter cuts force side and he is no longer a threat, I peek back to see another cutter cut behind me. I turn around just in time for the layout D. It wasn't an insta-layout D like I've been hoping to work on, but nevertheless, a big D. A few moments later, Rose is on the block, but catches it just outside, I get a dump, and throw a blade for the score to Trent (future Case player) for the game winner. It was a great feeling to come out with a win, especially knowing that Case essentially put the team on our shoulders for the second half to not lose it. I hope we can continue it in the next few weeks...

The other big thing going on in my world of Ultimate is Poultry Day's this weekend in Versailles, Ohio.

This is actually a big deal for me, not only because this is a great tournament (admittedly my first time), and the competition will be great, but because this is a big tryout tournament for the Cleveland Co-ed team. Remember, one of my goals is to make the team, gain lots of valuable experience, and play at a higher level. There isn't much to be said other than the fact that I need to play well. I have been designated as an offensive handler, I doubt I'll see many D line points, especially since the roster has 27 people on it. That moves my focus towards a few things. Overall, when the captains evaluate me by tournaments end, I want them to at least think I played solid. I don't want them to have images of poor decisions, bad throws, missed defensive assignments, or other things that can stick in their mind. More specifically though, I think a positive assist to turnover ratio is vital. By assist, I don't even mean that I have to throw many scores. I just want to be there for every dump, swing, and reset. I'll only take throws I'm positive of, and only huck if they explicitly give me the green light. On defense...I think I have to surprise them a little. The O line will turn the disc over, so I will have opportunities to play defense. I think people underestimate my committment to defense. Not to over-glorify the lay-out D (better if your man never touches it, or you dont have to bail yourself out with a layout) but I have been getting one pretty much every time I play or scrimmage these days. For the last 4 club practices I have gotten at least one layout D - and not on chumps off of poaches - off of hard in cuts.

So there may be a lack of faith on the defensive side for me, but I guess it's up to me to prove otherwise. Perhaps I'm playing the O line because they have confidence in me. I dont know. (The other explanation is that they view me as too much of a liability on defense. I hope not.) I'm not saying I need to dazzle this weekend, but I think I need to play just a notch above solid this weekend. Not out of this world, but just a step up. Speaking of world, I hope we get to play Team USA this weekend. Shoutout to my former coach Gwen Ambler, I'm gonna D you for sure.

- The Question

4 comments:

  1. I think it is pretty shitty that you guys decided to take other people's playing time in order to "win" a summer league game. Maybe you thought it was the right decision, but what did the people whose playing time you took think about it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, after talking about how under-rated your D is, why is it that you were guarding a non-threat? Couldn't handle their stud?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm okay with it this week because this was one game we could not let it get out of our hands. There were 4 other male spots to sub in. Only 2 other girls, and one of them was our captain. Also, I'm going to be missing at least 4 weeks of summer league. I sat the first 3 points of the half.

    In regards to my D, I guarded their stud the entire first half, and remember we were up on them at half (ie, I played well enough on him to keep him in check). In the second half after they caught up, I elected to put a runner to chase him around, while I shut down someone else so that we could facilitate the comeback. It's kind of like in basketball where you don't want your better offensive player having to worry about defense when you need to score more points on the other end of the floor.

    On that play where I got the D, my cutter was no longer a threat, he was on the far side of the field, clearing out. That's what I meant by no longer a threat.

    Hope this clears things up. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's always an off season if you look hard enough. Only problem is once you taste the first month of zero injuries, it may last another 6 :P

    ReplyDelete