Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Week 2 of Summer League

OK, so last week was pretty disappointing for me and my summer league team. We got rocked. Score reporter says 19-5 or something. We don't really have a super team like **cough** Kevin's squad, but we do what we can.

For the record, I did not achieve my goal of 2 layout blocks last week. It was a rough time all around. We severely lack experience. In fact, I'll fess up and mention that I got lay-out D blocked (but know the throw was pretty behind me, and the other guy was a few steps behind me and he still had to layout to get it - ie, I didnt even have a play on it).

I did have an assist though, and a foot block, though an uncharacteristic number of turns, I'd say about 4. Like I said, rough week.

This week we play an easier team, although we wont have Ed or some of our other studs...so it'll still be very difficult. I think I decided that I'm going to not try too hard and let the game come to me. Often times when an unexperienced team is playing poorly, there is a tendency to want to do it all - especially via frustration hucks. I'm not going to do that this week. I just hope people know how to cut though...

I was surprised to hear how many people knew about my personal D goal. I guess thats what happens when you blog. Last week I had a couple of bids, but nothing really good. I can think of 2 instances when I might have been able to get something by laying out, but they were the types that I mentioned I have to work on - the instant layout D.

I can remember this one clearly: A guy catches the disc on an in cut, im on the off handler, and he creeps up, starts calling for the disc. I KNOW it's going to him, I'm a 1/2 step behind him, and the thrower puts up this toss that is inches from my outreached hand. If I had the presence to just get horizontal I would have had it no problem. That kind ot stuff.

Maybe this week...

- Q

No comments:

Post a Comment