Thursday, June 11, 2009

The "other" summer league

Pittsburgh summer league starts this Saturday. The setup is different from the Cleveland summer leagues. Instead of one game every week, we have double headers on Saturdays scattered throughout the summer (6 or 7 total Saturdays I believe).

The important thing though is that Andy and I managed to get on the same team, along with two of our bros from high school. I think (and hope) that us four will have to be the big contributors of the team if we want to win. I look forward to being a potential leader of my summer league team.

Summer league is always an interesting psychological battle for me. Sure, there are great players and good players on every team, but sometimes the games don't seem very intense and competitive. It's very easy to just kick back like everyone else on the field, play lazy defense, and make poor, but exciting decisions.

There's a shit ton amount of teams (24 or something), and it's nearly impossible to gauge how good or terrible our team will be. But I mean, we have the chemistry of Andy and I that stretches back to sophomore year of high school, not to mention experience with our other two bros, Jaymes and Niko. If anything, I know it'll be a great time playing with these guys.

Some goals for myself at summer league:

1) Backhand, backhand, backhand. My backhand needs a LOT of work. I've been working on it in my free time and at club practice, but I think at summer league I can take more chances and gain confidence in breaking people. Most of my issues with backhand is due to lack of confidence.
2) Shut down defense. My man shouldn't get the disc. It's as simple as that. The hardest part is making myself play hard when others might not be playing 100%.
3) Gain complete confidence in my low release forehand. The Huddle says to work on your strengths more than your weaknesses, and I think this is my best throw. If I can have the confidence to consistently break people with a inside low release flick, that would be great.

Hoping to start off 2-0,

Matsi

1 comment:

  1. you "think" it's your best throw?!?!

    thats like saying Zeus "thinks" his lightning bolts are powerful

    tell "Jaymes" to learn how to spell his name correctly

    ReplyDelete