Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Bumps on the Road

I've found maintaining our "road to regionals" vigor has been a more difficult task than we expected. On Monday, we assembled on the village field for another round of training and encouragement. However, we ran into a few setbacks. Only myself, Ed, Andy and Mark bothered to show up.
Because of the rain during the day, we deemed the stairs too be too wet and slippery to be properly thrashed. Feeling slightly disheartened, we took to the track for our 2 mile warm up jog. The pace was brisk, but I don't think we were near exhaustion to the point that Owen pushed us on thursday. Without any stairs to thrash, we were left a little confused as to what to do next. We knew we had to push ourselves to the limit, but I think we're not quite sure just what our limit is. I suppose our potential is limitless, but we've never really gotten there. It will definitely be a goal of ours to go balls to the wall as often as possible. We ended up devising a nifty little 4 man huck drill, but were dismayed quickly as to the quality of our hucks. Then we moved on to an endzone "on the block" drill that was well recieved, but left me feeling a bit dissapointed. Everyone was getting broken on forehand throws, and it just reminded me how hard it is to guard a true stud like Ed. After that drill, we were invited to help the ladies scrimmage. However, the mood was decidedly light, and I think Mark was the only guy really showing some solid intensity. He was a solid defender, and really made his presence known on offense. Mark wont be there tonight because of an unidentified ilness, but you know hes the kind of guy who will flex that sort of stuff right out of his system, and come back more powerful than ever before, which is impressive, because he has a pretty high power level to begin with. Luckily the day ended with Andy devising a sweet drill that I named "legit-i-cides". Its basically a sideways shuffling suicide. Works the crotch muscles. Pretty critical stuff for a guy like Andy (read: bulge).

I'm getting pretty inspired by the Cavs right now, especially Lebron James. The way he takes over a game effortlessly is something we all need to be able to do. Also, like Lebron, I plan to name my children after myself, and the Gladiator from "Gladiator". I suppose that's redundant, but whatever. That reminds me. Q left out a few of my nicknames in his profile. There's also k-ruv, poke-a-gorilla, quesadilla (from my phys ed teacher) and "the Spaniard".

Here is some "thizzspiration" for everyone. Russel Crowe is one of the main atheletes I try to model myself after:


In Gladiator, Russel Crowe fights not because he chooses to, but because he has to. He fights to honor his dead wife and to seek revenge against Joaquin Phoenix, who killed his mentor, Marcus Aurelius (Richard Harris aka dumbledore version 1). Thats basically the complete opposite of why I play ultimate, but the fluidity of Maximus' swordplay is something I'd like to emulate in my fakes.




-Kevin

1 comment: