Friday, May 1, 2009

GL Regionals 2009 - A Step Towards the Future

This comes to you on the eve of the Great Lakes Regional Tournament for 2009. I wish I was going there as a participant, but as you all know, I, along with the team, am not.

But, I am going to Regionals this year. As a spectator and cheerleader for the Women's team on their quest to Nationals. They've already created quite a stir in the world of college ultimate, but it won't mean too much without attaining that Ultimate goal (see what I did there?) of making and winning Nationals. I'm really excited for them, excited for CWRU to be put on the map, and proud to represent them. I hope to spend as much time as I can watching them but...

I'm also going to Regionals this year as an Observer. This is going to be my first experience as an Observer for the UPA, and I'm really looking forward to it. I hope to gain a lot of experience, and hopefully Observe some key games.

Why am I observing - it's another step towards Regionals.

I think Observing will open the game to me in ways I havent been able to experience before. I think it will give me a new perspective, and approach to a lot of things. I'm hoping I garner a newfound respect for Spirit of the Game, and appreciation for Observers. Moreover, I'll be able to watch some high quality Ultimate, technique, and strategy - all stuff that can be used to make me and the team better as next year approaches.

A little over a week ago I posted talking about goal setting and its importance. After having time to think, I have come up with my own intimately personal goals. Like I said, this summer is about improving the individual, the season is about improving the team. So here it is, my goals for this summer (and perhaps beyond), and a little explanation.

1) Get in good enough shape to play every single point of a tournament and be effective. This will include a running/sprinting regimine, and weight lifting, as well as some specialized training. The Snertz workout has come to mind.

2) Dominate Summer League - no reason not to.

3) The big one - collectively work towards becoming an All-Region Player next year, or at least get respectable nomination. Some of you may not know what that is. Basically, its an All-Star team for the Region. This is actually a pretty hard task, especially considering that I am not the best player on the team currently. The point is, I want to step up - for the team and for myself. Most of you reading this are thinking, wow Q, that'l never happen. That's great. I want there to be haterz out there - it'l fuel me more - I already know how many exist out there. You can think of me as the Gilbert Arenas of the Ultimate world (at least GL Region).

Observing this weekend is the first step towards that.

Good luck CWRU Lady Gobies.

- Q

No comments:

Post a Comment